Lemons are literally an amazing fruit; you can use them in so many ways. Here, they will be used to add a subtle fresh tang to your often sweet dessert. The acidity in lemons will counter the sweet you often taste in most desserts. This recipe is light, refreshing and above all: EASY! The only sweet part would be the glaze which you can omit if you wish to do so but it definitely elevates the taste of the muffin 🙂
Total Time: 30 min
Serving size: Approx. 15
1 Box of French Vanilla cake mix *Yes, I’m using cake mix-so much easier and does the job! Therefore you will also need: 3 eggs; vegetable oil; and water.
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 – 2 cups powdered sugar ( depends on consistency you would like)
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice or you can use juice of 1 lemon for a more natural flavor
- Follow the directions of the cake mix and have that ready.
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice; grate 1 lemon’s zest in there as well. Squeeze 1/2 a lemon’s juice also. If you like more lemon flavor you can juice the other half as well.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; stir everything together with the cake mix.
- Pour batter into your cake mold of choice- I usually use a loaf pan!
- Bake according to directions on the cake mix box. (Takes about 10-15 minutes)
- Check center using a tooth pick or a fork after 15-20 min to make sure it is baked all the way through. The toothpick should be clean when you enter it into the cake rather than have raw batter on it.
- Once baked through; take muffins out and let them cool.
- Work on making the glaze! Just add the 2 cups of powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice either fresh or from concentrate and mix very well till you get a nice semi-thick consistency. Place aside.
- Once muffins are cool; poke a few tiny openings on top and pour the glaze over them with a spoon. This way the cake absorbs more moisture and the top has a lightly gloss look! Make sure to have aluminum foil or wax paper at the bottom of the cupcakes before pouring the glaze all over. Easier clean up.
- Garnish by grating some lemon zest over the glaze. Your muffins are ready to enjoy!
Toasted Coconut Portion
*Now, if you would like to have an extra depth of flavor to these muffins you can add toasted coconut into the cake batter and garnish with toasted coconut as well. You can buy toasted coconut already packaged or you can toast them yourself. Buy coconut flakes and spread them onto a silicone mat in your pan and place in a 325 degree oven for 3-4 minutes on each side till golden brown!
Of course, you can make this recipe into a cake or a loaf; it doesn’t have to be cupcakes or muffins!
When life gives you lemons; use them to bake yourself some yummy muffins!