Growing up my mom always made a baked dish that incorporated ground beef, tomatoes, and eggplant. I was reminiscing of that meal when I came up with this healthier twist. Basically, omitted the tomatoes which are very acidic and that is something I am trying to not incorporate into my diet as much. Also, tomatoes aren’t keto friendly because of their carb content which isn’t much but keto is that strict. I had to make it keto friendly for my husband who is currently following that diet. Instead of tomatoes, I used carrots! Carrots and ground beef actually go really well together. I’ve been experimenting with it and find that it gives moisture and color to the beef which is a total plus. This dish isn’t oily either like most eggplant meals. It has just enough of everything. The egg and cheesy topping adds some extra protein and a nice crust as well.
Total time: 1 hour
Servings: 2-4 people
2 large eggplants
1 lb lean ground beef
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp oregano
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 large carrot shredded
2 tbsp coconut aminos or 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1/2 tsp pomegranate molasses (add more if you would like) or 2 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
1/2 cup shredded cheese
3 eggs lightly beaten
2 tbsp unsweetened plain almond milk or heavy cream
- Cook down the ground beef, processed carrots, and onions in a saute pan with some olive oil and the garlic. Season with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and oregano. Add the coconut aminos or the substitutes and cilantro. This shouldn’t take more than 10-15 minutes to cook on medium heat. Add the cilantro last because it cooks quick.
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch pieces. Lay on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, drizzle lightly with olive oil, salt and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Take out and start layering the dish. First place down several eggplant slices. Then add the ground beef mixture. Top with some shredded cheese. Add another layer of eggplant. Then add the ground beef with some cheese again. Then top off with the rest of the eggplant.
- Place in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. In a little bowl, mix together the eggs and almond milk or cream. Add this to the top off the eggplant after 30 minutes. Also, top off with shredded cheese and bake for another 10-15 minutes till top layer is cooked. I used vegan cheese & almond milk for this dish since I am lactose intolerant.
- Once out of the oven and slightly cooled, enjoy as is or with some rice.