Hey guys! I don’t think Chicago got the memo that is is Spring time. Spring, the season of flowers and sunshine. Yesterday was extremely gloomy outside and it was actually snowing. So, I decided to bring my own sunshine to our home by making some citrus inspired dinner. I brought back kumquats from our California trip. Kumquats are like mini oranges that you can enjoy in one bite! So, I decided to use those along with some lemon as a marinade for chicken and guess what? The chicken came out so flavorful and moist. Super excited to share the recipe with you all!
2 large chicken breast cut into 4-6 thin slices
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
2 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 an orange or 6 kumquats
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp sugar or stevia/splenda
1-2 tbsp coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Make the marinade. In a bowl, mix the oil, juice of one lemon, juice of half an orange, splenda, minced garlic, and all the other spices & herbs but the paprika. The zest of the citrus will also be added to the marinade. Nothing goes to waste so basically put everything in the bowl but the chicken!
- Now take the chicken and cover it with plastic wrap. Take your meat tenderizer and hammer the chicken lightly till thin.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, oregano, Italian seasoning, and thyme on both sides of the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a large zip lock bag. Pour the marinade with the lemon and orange zest pieces into the bag over the chicken. Close the bag and massage all the flavors together. Place in the fridge to marinade for at least 2 hours. I let mine marinade for 6.
- When its time to cook the chicken, take out your cast iron skillet or any non stick skillet. Cast iron skillets develop nice flavor and crust; I highly recommend investing in one. Add 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil and keep on medium heat. Once pan is hot, add the chicken. It should sizzle and that will give a fantastic sear.
- Cook the chicken about 6-8 minutes each side depending on thickness of chicken but they should be relatively thin since they are tenderized. Chicken is done when no pink is shown inside when cut into.
- Enjoy over pasta or rice or with a salad!
Lodge L8SK3 10-1/4-Inch Pre-Seasoned Skillet
10.25-inch Skillet can saute, sear, fry, bake and stir fry
L 16.125, W- 10.688, H- 2-Inches
Pre-Seasoned and ready-to-use, Superior heat retention and even cooking… Read More Lodge L8SK3 10-1/4-Inch Pre-Seasoned Skillet